If you are already a racing or competent paddler and interested in joining the club please get in touch here. We will arrange for one of our coaches to assess your level, and either find the right training group for you. As all our training is done in racing boats with rudders you will need to be assessed in one of these – we can provide one if you do not have your own.
If you are new to kayaking, we run regular courses through the summer to get you started. No previous experience is necessary but you should be able to swim 50 metres and the recommended minimum age is 8. The beginners’ courses are over four sessions, and aimed at covering the basics of paddling and preparing you to start training towards your first race. You will progress from a plastic boat to a ruddered boat and be able to execute basic support strokes, manoeuvre your boat around obstacles and control your boat safely. We ask everyone to join the club before they start, and the cost of the beginner course is included in your first year’s membership fees which you can find here. The minimum age for juniors is 8, and the minimum age for the adult only courses is 18.
Our first beginner courses for 2022 are below. Each course has 4 sessions:
- Juniors only – Mon 11, Tues 12, Wed 13 and Thurs 14 April from 13:30 to 15:30 (Easter holidays)
- Adults + Juniors – Mon 11, Tues 12, Wed 13 and Thurs 14 April from 16:00 to 18:00 (Easter holidays)
- Adults only – Wednesday evenings, 20 and 27 April and 4 and 11 May from 17:30 to 19:30
- Juniors only – Saturday afternoons on 23 and 30 April and 7 and 14 May from 14:00 to 16:00
- Juniors only – Mon 30 and Tues 31 May, Wed 1 and Thurs 2 June from 13:30 to 15:30 (half-term)
- Adults + Juniors – Mon 30, Tues 31 May, Wed 1and Thurs 2 June from 16:00 to 18:00 (half-term)
Please sign up for your preferred choice of course here.
No special clothing is required. We recommend you wear running or sportswear (not jeans, fleeces or woolly jumpers) with a pair of light trainers or water shoes. Paddlers should bring a cagoule (in case of wet weather), a towel and a complete change of clothing for afterwards.
The club can provide buoyancy aids, paddles and boats for the course and for new members. As your paddling progresses, the club coaches will advise on buying your own equipment as and when you need it.
It is sometimes possible to organise coaching on a one-to-one basis or in a small group.
For more information on our Membership please click here